Thought I'd share a fun party trick.
If you, like me, want to enter one of those aka.ms/... URLs, but find that it takes WAY too long to type all that a-k-a-.-m-s stuff, or that I — uh, I mean you — keep hitting the wrong keys, then try this:
- Open Edge (any channel) to edge://settings/searchEngines
- Click Add
- Put this in the dialog (see below):
- Search Engine: I used "Microsoft Redirect" but could be AKA or whatever you want
- Keyword: I used "aka" but you could use akams or whatever you will remember to type each time to trigger it
- URL: https://aka.ms/%s
- Save and close the tab. Open a new tab.
- Press [ALT] + [D] to go to the address bar so everything is selected, or just click the address bar and make sure it's empty.
- Now type this (where [SPACE] is the spacebar):
followed by the shortened part of the URL, and [ENTER] to go.
In this example dialog, I wanted to open https://aka.ms/powershell. Instead of having to type the "aka.ms" part (or worse, the whole "https://aka.ms/" part), I just typed in aka and then [SPACE] and then powershell:
Try not to spend the extra 0.9 seconds you saved in one place right away. Save it up for later.